For Homestay information please contact:
- Saori (Chao) Knezevic, International Student Coordinator email@example.com
Are you a local resident interested in providing Homestay for an International Student? Find out more about being a Homestay Family.
- You will live with Canadians in their home.
- Your host family will help you practice English conversational skills in a relaxed environment.
- You will gain a better understanding of Canadian culture, lifestyle and language.
- Your parents can be assured you will be in a safe and caring environment.
- You will be provided with three meals per day.
- You will have your own private, furnished bedroom and access to bathroom, telephone and laundry facilities.
- No more than two International student are placed in each home unless you request otherwise.
- All host families are visited and interviewed by College representatives before a student is placed with them.
- You must be prepared to eat Canadian food, clean up after yourself, follow Canadian family routines, interact with your host and follow the family guidelines and norms set out by your homestay family.
- If this Canadian family-oriented homestay option does not suit your expectations for your home life, we encourage you to consider the College's residence or to seek accommodation in a private apartment either individually or with other students.
- Our homestay program is not able to accommodate families. If students come to study with their families, they are advised to make their own arrangements for accommodation.
- Homestay fees are C$650 per month paid directly to the Homestay Host.
- There is a $35 non-refundable application fee.
- Airport pick-up from the Cranbrook Airport is included in the homestay fee.
On-Campus Student Residence
The Purcell House student residence on-campus welcomes international and Canadian students 12 months of the year.
It is your responsibility to apply directly to Residence. You must submit your application by May 1st for September admittance and by September 1st for January admittance.
The Residence is a great place to meet Canadian college students and enjoy campus life.
Living in Residence makes it easier for you to:
- get to and from classes
- access the Library and Computer Labs
- find someone down the hall to help you with a study problem or to socialize with when you're lonely
- be involved in extra curricular activities
- make good friends
- Residence fees are C$1900 per semester (four months), plus a C$150 damage deposit and a C$35 non-refundable application fee.
- Fees are due in advance before you arrive.
- There are many apartment buildings within walking distance of the College.
- Rental costs vary, depending on availability.
- If you choose to live in an apartment, you must find this accommodation on your own after you arrive. Apartment placement is not provided by the College.
- The International Office can provide a list of local apartment building managers and property management companies for your follow up after arrival.
- Normally it takes at least one week to secure an apartment.
- Prior to arrival, college staff can confirm temporary accommodation in a local value hotel until your apartment is available. You will be required to cover the costs of your temporary accommodation.
- Please note that most apartments in Canada are rented with no furniture so you will be required to purchase furniture, bedding and kitchen items after you arrive.