International Student Info
COLLEGE OF THE ROCKIES INTERNATIONAL STUDENT INFORMATION
Recently ranked #1 in Canada and the world for international student satisfaction!*
College of the Rockies is a public college located in the Rocky Mountain resort region of southern British Columbia, Canada. We offer certificates, diplomas, bachelors' degrees, graduate certificates and post-degree diplomas as well as technical and vocational programs.
College of the Rockies' main campus is in the city of Cranbrook BC, an affordable and friendly city with a strong economy and a great relaxed lifestyle. The College is in the center of a world-famous outdoor recreation environment offering incredible scenery and unique outdoor activities year round. Cranbrook's airport has daily direct flights from Vancouver (80 minutes) and Calgary (40 minutes).
Over 3000 Canadian students and 220 international students from 33 different countries attend College of the Rockies annually. With an average class size of about 25 students, our instructors know each student by name. Students are comfortable asking questions in class, even in our university level courses. College of the Rockies offers outstanding educational value with some of the most affordable tuition fees in Canada.
Founded in 1975 with major expansions in 2008 and 2010, our Cranbrook campus is beautiful, comfortable and technologically advanced. On-campus recreation includes an indoor climbing wall, gymnasium, outdoor track and field, fitness room and forest trails. A cafeteria, bookstore, library, computer labs and wireless internet are also available on campus.
Services for international students include free peer tutors, Education Advisors, and an international office offering special recreational events, free phone calls home and assistance with medical insurance and homestay.
Some programs popular with international students:
- University Arts and Science/Associate Degrees/Engineering Certificate/Fine Arts Certificate (first and second year of a four year Bachelor's Degree Program in most fields of study; transfer agreements with all universities in BC)
- Business Administration Certificate and Diploma (with majors in Accounting, Marketing and Management) with option to transfer to university
- Bachelor of Business Administration Degree with a Major in Sustainable Business Practices
- Kinesiology Certificate and Diploma program (with option to transfer to university)
- Tourism and Recreation Management Certificate and Diploma Program (with option to transfer to university)
- Adventure Tourism Business Operations Certificate and Diploma Program (with option to transfer to university)
- Graduate Certificate in Global Studies (diploma or degree required)
- Post-Degree Certificate and Diploma in Sustainable Business Practices (degree required)
- Bridge to Health – Prerequisite courses for students preparing to apply to the two year Practical Nursing Program (PNP)
- Automotive Service Technician – eight month certificate starting in September
- College Preparation (high school completion – BC Adult Graduation Diploma)
Diploma programs take at least two years to complete; certificate programs take one year or less to complete. See www.cotr.bc.ca/programs for more program choices and details.
The first step in our application process is to apply online at www.cotr.bc.ca/internl/apply.asp. Once accepted, we will require a CAD$100 application fee to produce your official acceptance letter for visa purposes.
Transfer to University
College of the Rockies is funded, regulated and accredited by the Government of BC. As a member of BC's public college/university system (www.bccat.bc.ca), university level courses are designed to transfer easily to all other institutions in BC including major universities such as UBC, Simon Fraser University and University of Victoria.
Students in an academic program with a valid Canada study permit may work part-time off-campus for the duration of their studies with no special permit required. Programs over eight months in length are eligible for the post-graduate work permit program for a duration equal to the length of the program. Upon completion of a minimum two year program (diploma), students are eligible for a post-graduate work permit to work anywhere in Canada for three years.
Program Admission Requirements and Course Prerequisites
Specific high school prerequisites in English and math are required for all programs and some college level courses. These high school prerequisites are available at the College and can be taken concurrently with other college level courses for most programs.
College of the Rockies has many advantages...
- recently ranked #1 in Canada and the world for international student satisfaction! *
- very affordable cost of living and tuition fees
- small class sizes (average 25 students in a university level class) with personal assistance from instructors
- British Columbia EQA (Education Quality Assurance) designation ensures a quality, recognized credential
- simple application procedure (see www.cotr.bc.ca/internl/apply.asp )
- easy transfer to university; we are a member of the BC Transfer System
- safe, clean and friendly modern city with a strong economy
- beautiful newly expanded campus within walking distance of mall and downtown
- spectacular mountain recreation setting
- affordable homestay program with kind and caring host families
- modern on-campus student residence where international students are welcome all year round
- work part-time off-campus with no special permit required
- work up to three years in Canada after completing a two year program
For more information, contact:
*International Student Barometer survey 2013 and 2014. © i-graduate 2014 and 2015