Rocky Mountain Educational Adventures
Alpine Hiking Program
We're in the beautiful Rocky Mountains. Get out there and explore them!
This course is perfect for the first-timer, or if you just need to brush up on your skills to feel more safe and comfortable in the mountains. You'll begin by learning the basics of camp craft, map and compass, no trace camping, and route planning while preparing for a real expedition into the Rocky Mountains of southern BC. Enjoy rock climbing and developing mountaineering skills on Quartzite cliffs along Lake Koocanusa and on the Athabasca Glacier north of Lake Louise.
Students develop mastery of climbing and camping equipment while advancing personal safety and comfort in the mountains. This is a very active class, so you should be physically fit and prepared to put your boots on and explore the Rockies!
We're going to cover:
- Navigation, Day hikes, No Trace Camping, Bear Aware, Route Planning, Navigation and Trip Prep
- 5 days of Wilderness Travel
- Intro to Rock Climbing and Mountaineering
- 5 days of Rock Climbing
- 5 days of Mountaineering and Glacier Travel
- Mountain Biking Skills Development
- Wilderness Survival Skills
- Optional: Advanced Wilderness First Aid ($850) (available after 7 week program)
Dates: September 5 - October 20, 2017 (7 Weeks)
- You must be 19 years or older as of the start of the course.
You must be physically able to accomplish the tasks required.
- The Rocky Mountain Educational courses are very physically demanding. You will be required to carry personal overnight supplies & equipment along with technical sport specific gear on extended trips over rugged mountain terrain. You will also have to be prepared to carry your share of communal equipment and do your share of communal tasks.
- You must have valid and current medical insurance prior to being admitted into the program.
- You must sign a general program release and waiver identifying assumption of risk and inherent danger of mountain activities before attending any outdoor activity.
- You are required to have a valid passport and travel medical insurance for possible travel to the United States.
Give us a call or send us an email with your questions:
Phone: 250-423-4691 | Toll Free: 1-866-423-4691
*Note: Includes: Transportation, group equipment, accommodations while on field trip. Does not include personal equipment, expenses, food, or accommodation while in Fernie.