Health Care Assistant
The Health Care Assistant (formerly Resident Care/Home Support Attendant) is a six-month program that covers the knowledge, skills and attitudes required to provide personal care to individuals in residential care as well as in community settings (home support and assisted living).
- 6 month program runs 5 days per week
- Combines classroom and practical experience
- Residential care, home support and assisted living facilities
- Semester one: 16 weeks theoretical, practical lab applications
- Semester two: 9 weeks: Community and Residential Care practicum
- Tuition fee: approximately $1,800.00 plus books. (Please contact us to confirm tuition and fees.)
- Grade 10 with a minimum grade of C in English and Applied Math 10; or
- ABE Advanced Level certificate with a minimum grade of C in English 070, Math 070; or
- GED with a minimum grade of C in English 070 and Math 070 or assessment.
Prepare now for entry into this program. Contact our Education Advisors for information about skill upgrading.
- CPR Level C and St. John Ambulance Emergency or OFA Level 1
- Must be physically fit and psychologically healthy as evidenced by a signed COTR medical self-disclosure form.
- Current immunization record and TB skin test (not to be completed until within 3 months of program start date.)
- 30 volunteer hours at a residential care facility of past experience.
- Two satisfactory references: employment and personal
- A criminal record search is required.