Do you love working with people? Do you follow the latest fashions and trends? If so, the Hairstylist Foundation Program offered at the Cranbrook campus might be just the right fit for you! This program will help you gain the knowledge and skills in techniques you'll need to work as a hairstylist.
- Classroom and hands-on training in a commercial salon setting
- A three-week practicum where you'll be monitored by practicum sponsors in a working salon*
The Hairstylist Foundation program at the College of the Rockies is a provincially accredited training program designed to prepare students for entry level positions in the Hairstylist Industry. The program provides students with skills that are needed as a first-year apprentice, including:
- Salon hygiene practices
- Effective use and maintenance of tools and equipment
- Hair cutting
- Chemical waving and relaxing
- Client service communication skills
- Basic business management skills
*The Hairstylist Foundation program is delivered through regular lectures, demonstrations and practical skills training in a salon setting. Students will be assisted in obtaining sponsors from qualified salon settings for three weeks of practicum training.
- Minimum Grade 10 or equivalent, or college assessment
- ACE-IT applicants require permission from the Career Education Coordinator
- Applicants must be non-allergic to the solutions used in this occupation. This occupation is physically demanding and reasonable physical condition is necessary. Strong people skills are required.
Individuals who successfully complete the Hairstylist program and pass the ITA Standardized Level 1 written exam will be granted the following credit towards Level 2:
- Level 1 credit
- 1290 work based training hours:(990 Hours Technical training +300 hours Work based)
To receive Level 2 credit and to qualify to write the Certificate of Qualification exam for Red Seal designation, an individual requires an employer sponsor and 150 hours of Level 2 technical training plus a total of 3600 work based training hours.