International Students
Working in Canada

For all paid employment in Canada, you must have a valid Social Insurance (SIN) number and you must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Do NOT work in Canada if you do not have the proper authorization; if you do you will be asked to leave Canada.  More details on work regulations for students can be viewed at

Employment With a Study Permit

  • You must be a full-time student (three courses or more in Fall or Winter semester or two courses in Spring semester);
  • A valid Canada Study Permit is required;
  • You may seek employment in any sector;
  • Only academic students are eligible (ELP 98 is considered academic); ESL students are not eligible
  • You can work up to 20 hours per week while class is in session and 40 hours a week during scheduled breaks (such Christmas vacation or summer break);
  • A Canadian Immigration Medical Exam may be required if you are working with children or the elderly

Co-Op Work Permit

Some of College of the Rockies’ programs include a mandatory work practicum to develop hands on experience to compliment classroom theory.  Students registered in these programs are eligible for a valid work permit.  Students will apply for both their study permit and work permit at the same time or can apply for the work permit after arriving in Canada. 

To be eligible for this permit:

  • You must have a valid study permit;
  • The practicum must be an essential part of your program;
  • The practicum length can not exceed 50% of the total program.

Examples of programs that may include an essential work practicum are:

  • Hospitality Management
  • Tourism Management
  • Recreation Management
  • Human Service Worker
  • Adventure Tourism Business Operations

green pointer (right)More details can be found at

Post-Graduation Work Program

Students completing an academic program at College of the Rockies are then eligible for a special post-graduation work permit.  This work permit can be up to THREE years in length

To be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit:

  • You must have successfully completed a certificate of at least eight months in length or two year diploma from College of the Rockies;
  • A three year work permit is available to students that have completed a two year diploma program
  • Work permit length cannot exceed length of the graduated program if the program is less than two years (certificate);
  • Only programs that are at least eight months in length are eligible;
  • You must apply for the work permit within 90 days of completing your program; and
  • You must have a valid study permit at the time of application; and
  • The Post-Graduation Work Permit is only issued ONCE and can NOT be extended

green pointer (right)More details can be found at

"Working Holiday" Work Permit

Students issued a Work Holiday Permit are eligible to study in Canada for up to 6 months while working in any sector.  For more information on how to obtain a Work Holiday Permit contact the Canadian embassy in your home country; working holiday permits cannot be obtained in Canada.

Social Insurance Number

All students that work in Canada require a Social Insurance Number (also referred to as a SIN).  This number helps the Canadian government track the number of people working in Canada as well as the amount of money earned (for tax purposes).  Do not attempt to work without a Social Insurance Number.

To obtain a Social Insurance Number you must go to the local government office:

  • 1113 Baker Street, Cranbrook, British Columbia, V1C 1A7
  • You must present your passport and valid Canada study permit. An additional letter may be required, see international office.
  • Complete the application form.

Your Social Insurance Number will have an expiry date coinciding with your work permit.

Online Resource

For more information on Canadian work permits go to