Coverage and Cost
All students registered in the Fall Term in nine or more face-to-face (in-class) credits/hours or enrolled in full-time programs lasting for at least nine weeks of study are automatically covered. This does not include Continuing Education students. Please check your student account to confirm if you have been charged the plan fees.
Part-time students, ABE students, and winter semester students registered for at least 9 credits are eligible to enrol themselves in the Plan during the applicable Change-of-Coverage Period by completing an enrolment process and paying a fee. Please note: ABE students must show proof of their Fair PharmaCare registration to enrol in the Plan.
Among other benefits, the Plan covers:
- Up to 90% for prescription drugs
- 90% for prescription vaccinations listed in the BC Fair PharmaCare Plan Formulary
- 80% for non-prescription vaccinations, up to $150
- Over $3,000 for health practitioners (psychologists, massage therapists, physiotherapists, chiropractors, etc.)
- Up to $275 in vision care (eye exams, eyeglasses and contact lenses, laser eye surgery)
- Up to $750 in dental care (checkups, cleanings, fillings, extractions, endodontics, periodontics, etc.)
- $5,000,000 in travel health coverage per incident, 120 days per trip
- $5,000 for trip interruption and $1,500 for trip cancellation in the event of a medical emergency while travelling
- Ambulances, dental accidents, medical equipment, and more!
Complete details will be available at www.studentcare.ca
How Much Does It Cost?
The total cost of the Plan for full-year coverage (Sept. 1, 2019 – Aug. 31, 2020) is $229.50 for automatically enrolled students. The cost of the Plan is automatically included in your tuition and other fees.
Separate fees apply for family and self-enrolment in the Plan. More details are available at www.studentcare.ca
Can I Change My Coverage?
If you are covered by another extended health and dental plan (e.g. a parent’s or spouse’s employee plan), you can combine both plans to maximize your overall coverage and reduce or eliminate out-of-pocket costs.
Alternatively, you can choose to opt out of the Plan during the following dates:
Opt outs for Fall students: August 28 - September 25, 2019
Opt outs for Winter students: January 2 - January 27, 2020
This is the only time that you will be able to Opt Out of the Plan, once the change of coverage period has ended you will be unable to opt out. You will receive a cheque for the amount of the Plan shortly after the Change-of-Coverage Period.
For information on how to Opt Out of the Plan please go to the StudentCare website
If you are eligible, the Change-of-Coverage Period is also when you can enrol yourself and your spouse and/or dependent children in the Plan. Only new winter semester students can enrol themselves and their spouse and/or dependent children from January 2 to 27, 2020 for coverage from Jan. 1 – Aug. 31, 2020.
How Can I Save More?
You can further enhance your benefits by visiting health professionals, including psychologists, dentists, and vision care professionals, who are members of the Studentcare Provider Networks. You are covered for the insured portion regardless of the health professional you choose. By consulting a Network member, you will get additional coverage. For example, by visiting a Dental Network member, you will receive an additional 20% off dental services, enabling you to get up to 100% coverage.
You also have access to the Doctor Network, which enables you to consult a physician from your computer, tablet, or mobile device.