About the Program
MAP (Mining Apprenticeship Program) is a flexible Apprenticeship training program developed by the College of the Rockies. MAP was created to increase the number of Apprentices in Heavy Duty Mechanics, Welding, Electrical and Millwright/Machinist Trades (starting initially with Heavy Duty Mechanics and has now expanded to include Electrical). The College has secured a variety of Apprenticeship work experience placements with the Industry Partners. The College will indenture (sponsor), supervise the Apprentices and program, and provide the technical training.
MAP will include work experience placements at a variety of Industry sites. Logbooks, prior learning assessment and linkages with the Secondary School System and ACE IT.
- Increase Journey persons and skilled workers for Industry.
- Skilled workers trained at local Industry sites.
- Train locally.
- Cost effective training model for Industry and Government.
- Support the local Post Secondary Institution and Secondary School System and ACE IT.
- Strengthened Industry Post Secondary System Partnership.
- Increase access for youth and under represented groups to a career in Trades.