Plumber Level 1 Apprenticeship
Growing construction activity in BC has resulted in an increased need for skilled plumbers in commercial, institutional and industrial builds. Plumber Apprenticeship Level 1 is your first step to becoming a Red Seal certified plumber.
This 7-week program covers the skills, knowledge and training required for Level 1 of the 4 Level Industry Training Authority (ITA) Plumber Apprenticeship Program.
In order to take this program, you must be a sponsored apprentice.
- Topics covered include preparing piping and components, installing pipe, valves and fittings, using soldering, brazing and welding equipment, using codes and regulations, interpreting drawings and specifications, and applying electrical concepts.
- The program includes classroom theory, demonstrations and practical hands-on training in a plumbing lab and shop setting.
- Safe work habits are important in this trade and are emphasized, practiced and reinforced throughout the program.
To view the official program outline, see: Plumber Apprenticeship Level 1
In order to take this program you must:
- Have an employer sponsor
Next intake: October 28 - December 13, 2019
Dates for additional levels will be added soon.
Interested in becoming an employer sponsor? Visit: ITA Employer Sponsor Overview
Tuition and Fees:
Refer to: Tuition Calculator
You must also provide your own:
- CSA approved personal protective equipment (PPE)
- CSA approved hardhat, blue in colour
- Steel-toed work boots
- Safety glasses
- Reference materials
- Pen, pencils, coloured pencils, etc.
- Three-ringed binders and paper (lined and unlined)
- Geometry set
Plumber Level 1 Technical Training Content
PLUMB 101 Perform Safety Related Functions
- Maintains safe work environment
- Use personal protective equipment (PPE) and safety equipment
- Perform lock-out and tag-out procedures
- Practice fire prevention
PLUMB 102 Use Tools and Equipment
- Use common tools and equipment
- Use access equipment
- Use rigging, hoisting, lifting and positioning equipment
- Rig loads for cranes
- Use soldering and brazing equipment
- Use oxy-fuel cutting equipment
- Use welding equipment
PLUMB 103 Perform Routine Trade Activities
- Use mathematics and science
- Interpret drawings and specifications
- Use codes, regulations and standards
PLUMB 104 Prepare Piping and Components
- Prepare pipe
- Join tube, tubing and pipe
- Install pipe
- Install valves
- Install fittings
- Penetrate structures
PLUMB 105 Use Communication Techniques
- Use communication techniques
PLUMB 106 Apply Electrical Concepts
- Use the principles of electricity
Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG)
When you complete your Red Seal program, you can apply for the one-time taxable cash Apprenticeship Completion Grant (ACG) of $2,000.00 after you have been certified in your trade. See: Grants for Apprentices registered in Red Seal Trades.