Practical Nursing Access Program - Diploma (2018/19)
|Total Cost (tuition & fees)||$11,441.25|
Note: Year 1: $4,414.23 and Year 2: $6,241.32
|International Tuition »|
All students that apply to the College are required to pay the $30 application fee. The application fee for international students is $100. Trades Apprenticeship students who are new to the College pay a one-time application fee per trade.
|Student Association Fee:|
For credit based courses there is an $11.50 student association fee for each course. The maximum student associate fee is 3 courses per semester for a total of $34.50. Some programs (Trades, Vocational & Health) are charged based on number of weeks they are in session. For these programs the student association fee is $2.30 per week of study (an 8 week program is charged $2.30 x 8 weeks = $18.40 fee).
|Bus Pass Fee:|
Students that are enrolled in full time studies at College of the Rockies pay a bus pass fee for unlimited access to public transit in the Cranbrook area. This fee only applies to students enrolled in an On-campus program at the Cranbrook and Gold Creek campus (online students are not required to pay bus pass fees).
|Health and Dental Fee:|
An annual fee of $225 for the Health & Dental Plan is charged to students registered in the Fall Term in nine or more face-to-face (in-class) credits/hours or enrolled in full-time programs lasting for at least nine weeks of study. This plan provides you with extended health and dental coverage for some of those services not covered by the BC MSP and other health-care programs.
*These prices are for domestic students and may not be 100% accurate. However, these estimates will give you an adequate idea of tuition and fees for our programs. These prices do not include textbook costs. All prices are subject to change.
IMPORTANT APPLICATION NOTICE:
This program is not currently offered and we will not be accepting applications. You can visit our Practical Nursing website for more information about an alternative program. Otherwise please return to this page for updates on the status of this program.
The Practical Nursing Access Program is designed for Health Care Assistants (formerly Resident Care/Home Support Attendants) who would like to upgrade their skills to gain a Licensed Practical Nursing diploma. The underlying assumption of this program is that learners enter the program with an educational background and experience that will allow them to bridge into the Provincial Practical Nursing Program (PPNP).
In the 2 Access Semesters, students complete 38 weeks of online coursework followed by 7 weeks of Integrated Nursing Practice and Consolidated Practice Experience at facilities in the Cranbrook area. Upon successful completion of the Access Semesters, students are eligible to enter Semesters 3 and 4 in Year 2 of the Provincial Practical Nursing Program at College of the Rockies. This program allows students the option to continue working on a part-time basis for the 38 weeks while studying online before committing to the final 7 weeks of practice education and 10 months of full-time study in face-to-face classroom, lab and practicum settings.
Upon successful completion of the Access Semester and Year 2 Semester 3 and 4 of the Provincial Practical Nursing Program, students will receive a Practical Nursing diploma and will be eligible to write the Canadian Practical Nursing Registration Exams (CPNRE) and to apply for licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse in Canada.
600 hours of work experience, within the last two years, in a care facility where care is provided to a group of gerontology clients. Work experience must be verified by an official employer letter. Individualized home care experience is not acceptable.
A recognized certificate in one of the following programs: Health Care Assistant (HCA) or Resident Care Attendant (RCA) or a combined Resident Care/Home Support Attendant (RC/HSA).
- Grade 12 graduation, in BC Dogwood diploma or Adult Graduation Diploma or equivalent (ABE, GED)
- English 12 or equivalent with a grade of 65% OR Technical and Professional Communications 12 with a grade of 80%
- Math 11 Principles with a grade of 60% OR Math 11 Foundations with a grade of 60% (commencing 2012)
- Biology 12 (Human Biology) with a grade of 60%
Note: Students must pass PPNP 101 Human Anatomy and Physiology for Practical Nurses or equivalent with a minimum grade of 65% to continue in the Practical Nursing Access Program.
- CPR Level C (must be valid during the entire program).
- Solicitor's General Criminal Record Check. Note: A criminal record may reduce an applicant's access into the program or to employment opportunities and licensing following graduation.
- Negative TB skin test or chest x-ray.
- Must be physically and psychologically able to complete program activities with appropriate accommodation for disability as evidenced by a signed COTR medical self-disclosure form.
- Immunization as required by sites of practice education and recommended by BC Centre for Disease Control (2009): diphtheria and tetanus, polio, hepatitis B, measles, mumps and rubella (MMR), varicella, and influenza. Note: Students who fail to comply with immunization requirements may be prohibited from attending practice education experience by Health authority and clinical partner site policy.
Many of our programs and courses will allow you to transfer to other colleges and universities in Canada. You can also apply to get transfer credits from past courses that will go towards completing your program here at College of the Rockies.
Learn how to transfer your courses to College of the Rockies
If you would like to continue your studies our courses transfer to a wide number of Canadian colleges and universities. If you are transferring to a BC college or university visit the BC Transfer website to see if our courses transfer to that institution.
Course Outline for: Practical Nursing Access Program - Diploma