Pre-Education - Certificate (2017/18)
|Total Cost (tuition & fees)||$3,593.40|
|International Tuition »|
All students that apply to the College are required to pay the $30 application fee. The application fee for international students is $100. Trades Apprenticeship students who are new to the College pay a one-time application fee per trade.
|Student Association Fee:|
For credit based courses there is an $11.50 student association fee for each course. The maximum student associate fee is 3 courses per semester for a total of $34.50. Some programs (Trades, Vocational & Health) are charged based on number of weeks they are in session. For these programs the student association fee is $2.30 per week of study (an 8 week program is charged $2.30 x 8 weeks = $18.40 fee).
|Bus Pass Fee:|
Students that are enrolled in full time studies at College of the Rockies pay a bus pass fee for unlimited access to public transit in the Cranbrook area. This fee only applies to students enrolled in an On-campus program at the Cranbrook and Gold Creek campus (online students are not required to pay bus pass fees).
|Health and Dental Fee:|
An annual fee of $225 for the Health & Dental Plan is charged to students registered in the Fall Term in nine or more face-to-face (in-class) credits/hours or enrolled in full-time programs lasting for at least nine weeks of study. This plan provides you with extended health and dental coverage for some of those services not covered by the BC MSP and other health-care programs.
*These prices are for domestic students and may not be 100% accurate. However, these estimates will give you an adequate idea of tuition and fees for our programs. These prices do not include textbook costs. All prices are subject to change.
This certificate is a survey of academic courses that can be used to pursue a Bachelor of Education or a Bachelor of Arts degree. All of the courses in this certificate are approved by the BC Teacher Regulation Branch.
The Pre-Education certificate program is a participating program in the UVic dual admission agreement with College of the Rockies and can be used as the first year toward the University of Victoria four-year teacher education program. The courses in this certificate can also be used to transfer to other education programs in BC and Alberta, for credit towards an arts and science diploma, and for credit towards an Associate of Arts degree.
Secondary school graduation (or equivalent). Students must have at least a 60% in Foundations Math 11 or equivalent, and a 65% in English 12 or equivalent. Basic computer skills are also recommended.
Flexible Assessment (FA): Yes
Two English courses (6 credits)
- Choose from ENGL 100, 101 or 102
- Grade requirements: ENGL 100 with a C+, or ENGL 101 and 102 with a C+ average or better
Two Canadian studies courses (6 credits)
- Choose from HIST 201, HIST 202, HIST 208, HIST 211, FNST 101 and 203
Two mathematics courses with a minimum C+ average (6 credits)
- Choose from MATH 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 113 or STAT 106.
- MATH 101 and (MATH 105 or STAT 106) are recommended.
- Note: Courses completed more than 10 years prior to the start date of the program are not normally accepted.
Two laboratory science courses (6 credits)
It is recommended that you take more than one discipline.
- Choose from: ASTR 100, BIOL 101, BIOL 102, BIOL 151, CHEM 100, CHEM 101, CHEM 102, GEOL105, GEOL 106, GEOG 101, PHYS 103, PHYS 103, PHYS 104.
- Note: One of: KNES 190, KNES 200 or KNES 210 are accepted. Courses completed more than 10 years prior to the start date of the program are not normally accepted.
Two academic electives (6 credits)
- Choose from subjects related to those taught in BC elementary schools. For example: Anthropology, Biology, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, First Nations Studies, French, Geography, Kinesiology, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Spanish, Fine Arts.
Many of our programs and courses will allow you to transfer to other colleges and universities in Canada. You can also apply to get transfer credits from past courses that will go towards completing your program here at College of the Rockies.
Learn how to transfer your courses to College of the Rockies
If you would like to continue your studies our courses transfer to a wide number of Canadian colleges and universities. If you are transferring to a BC college or university visit the BC Transfer website to see if our courses transfer to that institution.
Example of Course Outline for: Pre-Education - Certificate