Cannabis Retail Specialist Program
We need more programs that can teach potential workers about the risks and benefits of cannabis for medical purposes.
- Dr. Joel Kailia, RISE BC Wellness Centre
- This 26-week program is available online. Though the program content can be accessed at any time of the day, there are regular milestones and deadlines that must be adhered to in order to successfully complete the program within the allotted time.
- Next program start dates: May 27 and October 2019
- This program includes a workplace practicum to gain hands-on experience in a retail cannabis related business.
- A Continuing Education - Certificate of Achievement is awarded to those that successfully complete the program.
The Cannabis Retail Specialist program is designed to provide you with training for employment in the emerging cannabis industry and to prepare retail workers to effectively serve and educate their customers.
The program was developed with input from existing regional cannabis retailers and licensed producers, as well as medical professionals.
During this program, you will study plant anatomy and physiology, the chemical components, strain characteristics, and potential medicinal applications of cannabis as well as regulatory requirements, preparation techniques and methods of administration, along with human physiology and nutrition.
Our program includes a 40 hour practicum component. Practicums may be in a retail outlet, at a licensed producer as a client care representative, in field sales, etc.
Note: Practicum placement locations will be the responsibility of the student with some assistance from program coordinators.
*Note: This program information is correct at the time of publication. The guidelines surrounding the retail sale of cannabis continue to evolve. Program content may also evolve to ensure relevance to changing government standards, educational, employment and marketing needs.