Sea Kayak Guide (L1)
Date posted: 1/15/2018
Closing date: 2/14/2018
Number of positions: 2
Location: Telegraph Cove, BC
Description / duties:
North Island Kayak delivers world class guided kayaking tours of Johnstone Strait & the Broughton Archipelago, from Telegraph Cove on northern Vancouver Island, to thousands of guests each summer between the months of May and September. Our goal is to provide guests with a spectacular wilderness vacation experience, while ensuring the safety of all and minimizing any negative environmental effects of our presence. Maximum staffing levels are reached in the months of July & August when our team reaches approximately 35 people.
• To lead our guests on kayaking tours of 2 hr, ½ day and full day, with a maximum of 6 clients per guide.
• Provide store front coverage, including customer assistance, taking payments, opening and closing, etc.
• Washing and putting away tour equipment when returning from a tour.
• Assisting in preparation or cleanup of tours led by other guides.
• Washing and inspecting kayaks and gear and equipment maintenance.
• Processing clients for rentals of kayaks – filling out forms, taking payment, demonstrating safety procedures, allocating gear, etc.
• Power washing launch ramp & Patrolling the launch and parking area.
Most of our guests are tourists, not kayakers. They come to view wildlife in its natural environment and to enjoy nature, something the North Island can still provide. We are looking for an individual that can do more than just keep them upright in a kayak.
• SKGABC Level 1 certificate or equivalent
• 16 Hour Basic First Aid and CPR (40hr Wilderness First Aid preferred)
• Restricted operators certificate for VHF
• Post-secondary education preferred.
• Foreign language skills are preferred, especially French, German & Dutch.
• Knowledge of local marine mammals and marine invertebrates. (Will provide some training and literature in the form of field guides and reference books).
• Able to share knowledge enthusiastically and in a clear manner.
• Must have and be able to instruct “leave no trace “ethics
• Good leadership skills. Must be able to take control of a group and get them on the water in a timely fashion and maintain that control throughout the entire tour.
• A robust, outdoor professional able to work well under all weather conditions and able to lift 50lbs.
• Ready and be able to work at a moment’s notice.
Period of employment & compensation
Approximately June to end of August with opportunity to continue into September. Very competitive salary, depending on experience and qualifications.
To apply please review the following requirements and send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please clearly identify the position applied for and include the following information.
• A current resume & Cover Letter detailing why you are interested in the position and why North Island Kayak should hire you.
• Contact details for at least two work references. If you are at college or university, provide one faculty reference.
• Summary of relevant certifications, achievement dates and renewal dates.
• Expected salary & availability dates.
About Telegraph Cove.
Telegraph Cove is a tiny village on the north east side of Vancouver Island. Its remoteness, abundance of wildlife, fishing, whale watching (specializing in Orca) and kayaking opportunities bring thousands of tourists in the summer months. The largest nearby town is Port McNeill about half an hour’s drive away.
North Island Kayak
Box 213, Telegraph Cove, BC V0N3J0
Legal Disclaimer: With the exception of on-campus College of the Rockies student positions, these postings come from external employers and the College is not responsible for the accuracy of postings, for employer hiring procedures, or for ANY changes (including dates) made after the initial posting.