Date posted: 1/15/2018
Closing date: 2/28/2018
Number of positions: 1
Location: Telegraph Cove, BC
Description / duties:
North Island Kayak delivers world class guided kayaking tours of Johnstone Strait & the Broughton Archipelago, from Telegraph Cove on northern Vancouver Island, to thousands of guests each summer between the months of May and September. Our goal is to provide guests with a spectacular wilderness vacation experience, while ensuring the safety of all and minimizing any negative environmental effects of our presence. Maximum staffing levels are reached in the months of July & August when our team reaches approximately 35 people.
The Office Manager is a leadership position within the organization. They will exhibit strong communication, organizational and motivational skills while remaining passionate about the product, our delivery of it and the team that makes it happen.
Reporting to the Owners, the Office Manager is responsible for the smooth running of the NIK office, store & operations in Telegraph Cove while ensuring the ongoing standard of our customer service. They are responsible for our storefront, office, maintenance, kitchen and guest services staff and administratively for the Operations Manager.
• Management, supervision, training and performance of NIK non-guiding staff members.
• Staff scheduling & attendance to achieve expected workload and activity, including publication of staff work schedules and time recording.
• Delegation to & monitoring of tasks and responsibilities for direct staff and Operations Manager.
• Maintaining & reporting to owners of daily, weekly and monthly performance metrics & record keeping.
• The financial environment of the NIK store, including petty cash, store credit cards, daily cash and credit transactions, credits & expenditures and documentation of such. Ensures expenses and spending are authorized and appropriate.
• Condition, security, safety and appearance of the Telegraph Cove facilities, staff and equipment.
• Monitors and continuous improvement of customer service. On site responsibility for customer related issues, complaints and concerns.
• Ensures appropriate & authorized use of company vehicles, facility, tools, equipment, etc.
• Maintenance, improvement of and adherence to procedural documentation.
• Develops staff backup plans and ensures appropriate training to ensure backup performance.
• Assists in further development of job/task descriptions and procedure documentation.
• Maintains and further develops tools to monitor customer satisfaction.
• Organizes and introduces ongoing training & development resources.
• Contributes to marketing and social media channels.
• Experienced in office management in tourism or similar industry.
• Proven ability to manage a team, self motivate, take initiative and deliver to deadlines while managing in a dynamic work environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with a demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team.
• University Graduate, or considerable demonstrated work experience.
• Skilled with computers and communications technology.
• A robust, outdoor professional able to work well under all weather conditions and able to lift 50lbs.
• Prior supervisory skills; prior management skills and asset.
• Proficiency in English, other languages especially French & German are an asset.
• Must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
• Valid driver license.
• An opportunity to work for an industry leading organization in a beautiful area with spectacular wildlife.
• Great opportunity for long term career advancement & development
• A great work environment with very competitive pay rates.
• Access to subsidized accommodation in Telegraph Cove.
• Team based continuous learning skill development with subsidized further training opportunities.
• Access to Pro-deal purchases from leading outdoor suppliers
• Discounted opportunities to partake of other Telegraph Cove activities and attractions.
Hours and Compensation
The Office Manager needs to be available full time in Telegraph Cove between May & September. Weekend & evening work will be required. Part time, remote working hours will be required in March, April & potentially over next winter. Approximately 1000 - 1200 hours per year. Salary depending on experience and qualifications - $25+ an hour.
To apply please review the following requirements and send us an email (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please clearly identify the position applied for and include the following information.
• A current resume & Cover Letter detailing why you are interested in the position and why North Island Kayak should hire you.
• Contact details for at least two work references. If you are at college or university, provide one faculty reference.
• Summary of relevant certifications, achievement dates and renewal dates.
• Expected salary & availability dates.
North Island Kayak
Box 213, Telegraph Cove, BC V0N3J0
Legal Disclaimer: With the exception of on-campus College of the Rockies student positions, these postings come from external employers and the College is not responsible for the accuracy of postings, for employer hiring procedures, or for ANY changes (including dates) made after the initial posting.