Date posted: 1/15/2018
Closing date: 2/28/2018
Number of positions: 1
Location: Telegraph Cove, BC
Description / duties:
North Island Kayak delivers world class guided kayaking tours of Johnstone Strait & the Broughton Archipelago, from Telegraph Cove on northern Vancouver Island to thousands of guests each summer between the months of May and September. Our goal is to provide guests with a spectacular wilderness vacation experience, while ensuring the safety of all and minimizing any negative environmental effects of our presence. Maximum staffing levels are reached in the months of July & August when our team reaches approximately 35 people.
Our Operations Manager is a leadership position within the organization. They will exhibit strong communication, organizational and motivational skills while remaining passionate about the product we deliver, our impact on the environment and the health & safety of our guides and guests.
Reporting to the Office Manager & Owners, the Operations Manager will oversee the training, mentoring, supervision and performance of our guiding staff, while ensuring the ongoing standard of our tours, camps, gear and equipment. The Operations Manager will work closely with our office, maintenance, kitchen and sales teams to ensure that all guided tours & kayak rentals are delivered to our high standards.
• Management, Supervision and improvement of guides; their schedules, standards, skills, training and development, including performance measurement, documentation and mentoring.
• Ensures the quality of kayak tour delivery; guides, food, scheduling, equipment & camp selection.
• Maintaining standards of our camps, equipment, gear & kayaks; selection, cleanliness, condition, performance and storage.
• Models behaviour and attitudes expected from the guiding team while acting as a technical resource for guides and other staff members.
• Acts as a Risk Management & Wilderness First Aid resource for guiding & management staff and organizational health and safety program leader for their area of expertise.
• Ensures all identified record keeping requirements are accurate, complete & up to date and reported.
• Co-ordinates & organizes kayak rentals, renter skill assessment & Paddle Canada courses.
• Maintains, improves and documents expectations & written standards under areas of responsibility.
• Review and update of Tour descriptions & itineraries & kayak rental policies.
• Creates and implements new kayaking products, tours and programs.
• Organizes and introduces ongoing training & development resources.
• Assists with other organizational supervision, logistics, reporting and development as needed.
• Contributes to marketing and social media channels.
• An experienced Sea Kayaker and guide. Preferably SKGABC L2/L3 or equivalent.
• Current 80 hour Wilderness First Aid & CPR or equivalent certification.
• University Graduate, senior student in a degree level program or equivalent work experience.
• Proven ability to self motivate, take initiative, deliver to deadlines while managing in a dynamic work environment.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills along with a demonstrated ability to lead and motivate a team.
• Appropriate knowledge of tourism, sea kayaking, leave no trace & wilderness ethics practices combined with knowledge of the Pacific Northwest, its flora, fauna, first nation history and geological features.
• Skilled with computers, communications technology and possess a Marine VHF Restricted Operators Certificate.
• A robust, outdoor professional able to work well under all weather conditions and able to lift 50lbs.
• SVOP or other boat driving qualification and experience.
• Prior supervisory skills; prior management skills and asset.
• Proficiency in English, other languages especially French & German are an asset.
• Must have Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status.
• Valid driver license.
• An opportunity to work for an industry leading organization in a beautiful area with spectacular wildlife.
• Great opportunity for long term career advancement & development
• A great work environment with very competitive pay rates.
• Access to subsidized accommodation in Telegraph Cove.
• Team based continuous learning skill development with subsidized further training opportunities.
• Access to Pro-deal purchases from leading outdoor suppliers
• Discounted opportunities to partake of other Telegraph Cove activities and attractions.
Hours and Compensation
The Operations Manager needs to be available full time in Telegraph Cove between May & September. Weekend & evening work will be required. Part time, remote working hours will be required in March, April & potentially over next winter. Approximately 1000 - 1200 hours per year. Salary depending on experience and qualifications - $25+ an hour.
To apply please review the following requirements and send us an email (email@example.com). Please clearly identify the position applied for and include the following information.
• A current resume & Cover Letter detailing why you are interested in the position and why North Island Kayak should hire you.
• Contact details for at least two work references. If you are at college or university, provide one faculty reference.
• Summary of relevant certifications, achievement dates and renewal dates.
• Expected salary & availability dates.
North Island Kayak
Box 213, Telegraph Cove, BC V0N3J0
Legal Disclaimer: With the exception of on-campus College of the Rockies student positions, these postings come from external employers and the College is not responsible for the accuracy of postings, for employer hiring procedures, or for ANY changes (including dates) made after the initial posting.