Tour Guide 1 - Revelstoke
Date posted: 2/1/2018
Closing date: 2/11/2018
Number of positions: 8
Location: Revelstoke, BC
Description / duties:
Job Title: Tour Guide 1 - Revelstoke
Job Number: BCH-T-3903-180131E1
Job Location: Revelstoke, British Columbia, Canada
We’re BC Hydro and we have a big job to do.
Keeping the lights on for over 4 million people across the province takes a lot of talented people doing many different jobs. From working deep in a generating station, atop a power pole, or behind a desk, whatever it is that makes you tick we offer challenging careers to help you reach your potential.
We’re investing more than $2 billion per year in major capital infrastructure projects to help meet the growing demand for safe, reliable power. We’re upgrading transmission lines, building new substations, and investing in our hydroelectric generation facilities. We aim to provide meaningful and challenging work, opportunities for growth and a healthy work/life balance. We’ve been recognized for excellence and been named one of B.C.’s Top
Employers and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers for four years in a row.
It's our vision to be the most trusted, innovative utility company in North America by being smart about power in all we do.
• Greets visitors to the Visitor Centre as an ambassador of BC Hydro. Explains the self-guided tour or guided tour information. Answers questions about other tourism opportunities in the area and provides directions where possible.
• Provides guided tours following established tour content, tailoring content to meet the needs and interests of the assigned group. Explains how electricity is generated, discusses the history and construction of the generating station/dam, and provides information on BC Hydro’s current initiatives, services and programs, including environmental programs and local capital projects.
• Responds to non-routine enquiries and questions by sharing information with visitors, referring visitors to other resources within the organization where appropriate. Assists others over the phone or via email with enquiries about the Visitor Centre or general BC Hydro questions.
• Utilizes the Point of Sale (POS) system to process admission fees and retail purchases from the gift shop. Handles cash, counts daily intake, and completes end of day reporting. Trouble shoots problems with the POS system and escalates as required.
• Performs clerical duties such as filing, completing reports, answering telephones, checking safety equipment and supplies, and taking minutes at meetings.
• Performs duties of a minor nature related to the above duties which do not affect the rating of the job.
This position is affiliated with the Movement of United Professionals union (MoveUP/COPE). http://moveuptogether.ca
Throughout our province, BC Hydro has developed and maintains a wide range of recreational areas as part of our efforts to balance your energy needs with the preservation of the natural environment. BC Hydro’s Visitor Centres aim to educate visitors on hydro-electricity, electrical safety and energy conservation, and to tell the story of BC Hydro in the region. Tour Guides play an important role at these visitor centers in helping to educate the public, and carrying out other research and project functions.
Our ideal candidates for the Revelstoke Dam Tour Guide jobs would have a interest in electricity, customer service, travel / tourism, as well as a zest for learning and an ability to translate these learnings to our visitors. As a tour guide, you act as an ambassador for our company and are a primary resource for sharing knowledge on how electricity is generated, the history and construction of the generating station/dam, and BC Hydro’s current initiatives, services and programs, including environmental programs and local capital projects.
This is a part-time employment opportunity starting April 30th, 2018 and ending September 3rd, 2018. Hours vary depending on candidate availability, visitor centre hours, and scheduled tours. Typically, successful candidates are scheduled to work 20 to 30 hours per week.
• The Revelstoke Dam Visitor Center is located on Highway 23 North, Revelstoke, BC and is open weekdays and weekends. The successful incumbents must be available to work on weekends and holidays. Please note that public transit does not serve this location.
• Preference will be given to candidates that are familiar with the local community and visitor centre, candidates that are enrolled or have completed a post-secondary tourism program, and/or students enrolled in an electrical trade, technology or engineering post-secondary program.
• Ideal candidates will have a basic knowledge of the operation, construction practices and systems/equipment involved in a generating station, or will quickly acquire this knowledge upon starting employment. An interest in the environment and history is also considered an asset.
• Completion of an in-house training program is required upon hire.
• Tour Guides earn an hourly wage of $20.20 (this includes a percentage in lieu of benefits). Tour Guides are eligible to receive a stipend of $200 per month payable at the end of the completion of a successful contract.
** To learn more about our visitor centres, please visit www.bchydro.com/revelstoke
• Majority of time spent on feet and may be exposed to unpleasant sections and areas within the generating station.
We're always looking for exceptional people to bring new ideas, fresh thinking and the motivation to help shape the electricity system in B.C. It's an exciting time to be a part of our team as we invest in our system and prepare to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
Our values guide our work. Want to join us?
We are safe.
We are here for our customers.
We are one team.
We act with integrity.
We respect our province.
We are forward thinking.
BC Hydro is an equal opportunity employer.
How to Apply
Don't forget to update your Candidate Profile with your current resume and copies of your certifications. If applicable, include your Trades Qualification. This will ensure we have all the necessary information to assess your application without any delays.
Click on the Apply button in order to complete the steps to apply for this job.
Interested candidates should submit their applications online at https://app.bchydro.com/careers/current_opp.html by February 11, 2018.
Click here to access the job posting or visit the BC Hydro “Current Opportunities” Careers page to view and apply for jobs.
• Partial completion of high school, plus some experience in customer service, public speaking, giving presentations and/or leading groups. Completion of in-house training program upon hire.
333 Dunsmuir Street
Legal Disclaimer: With the exception of on-campus College of the Rockies student positions, these postings come from external employers and the College is not responsible for the accuracy of postings, for employer hiring procedures, or for ANY changes (including dates) made after the initial posting.