Date posted: 2/2/2018
Closing date: 3/1/2018
Number of positions: 3
Location: North Vancouver
Description / duties:
Please see details above.
Position: Education Assistant
Rate: $27.95 per hour (current rate)
Hours of: 32.5 Hours per week, School Term
Location: Handsworth Secondary School
NOTE: Training and experience with learning support – secondary, Math and Science 10-12 and assisting students with work experience placement and job coaching is desired
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
This is specialized work of a student assistance and teacher support nature attending to the personal care, educational and development needs of students who have unique and significant physical, mental, behavioural, emotional or learning style differences. An employee of this class provides assistance by performing a variety of tasks with an individual or groups of students. These tasks are determined by the needs of the individual or groups, so that each employee’s work will be as unique as the student(s) they are assisting. In addition, some employees will be required to bring specialized skills to assist students who are visually or hearing impaired, those with chronic health and physical disability issues, and those who are severely behaviourly disordered. The work requires considerable initiative, emotional stability, empathy and understanding of the many and varied issues these students face. This position requires sound judgement in dealing with a variety of situations under the general supervision of a teacher(s). Work performance is reviewed and evaluated by an administrator in terms of effective services rendered to students and staff.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITIES AND SKILLS:
• Considerable knowledge of the methods and practices related to the learning style and other needs of students with special needs.
• Considerable knowledge of the academic course content and non academic programs as required for assigned students.
• Considerable knowledge of behaviour theories, behaviour intervention strategies, anger management/conflict resolution techniques and situational safety assessment may be required. Working knowledge of child development.
• Ability to implement student Individual Educational Plan (IEP), Individual Care Plan, academic and other individual programs.
• Ability to administer authorized medications and physiotherapy under direction. Ability to administer basic first aid.
• Ability to monitor, adapt and respond to meet the varying medical, physical, educational, and other needs of students.
• Ability to function cooperatively with staff, and others and to maintain effective relationships with special needs students.
• Ability to perform a variety of record keeping tasks, including the collection and monitoring of data.
• Sufficient strength and agility to physically assist students with special needs.
DESIRABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:
Completion of the 12th grade or equivalent, plus basic first aid, supplemented by a Special Education Teaching Assistant certificate, or equivalent training in psychiatric nursing, practical nursing or child care. Two years prior related experience working with children or young adults with special needs, including behavioral disorders in an educational, institutional, group home setting or support worker capacity, or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Preference will be given to those with a Special Education Teacher Assistant Certificate or equivalent.
Submit applications to: http://www.makeafuture.ca/north-vancouver
We appreciate your interest in applying; however, only those candidates selected to move forward in the application process will be contacted.
Make a Future - Careers in BC Education
400 - 1333 W. Broadway
604 730 4541
Legal Disclaimer: With the exception of on-campus College of the Rockies student positions, these postings come from external employers and the College is not responsible for the accuracy of postings, for employer hiring procedures, or for ANY changes (including dates) made after the initial posting.