Transfer Credit Information
Transferring to College of the Rockies

Transfer agreements with other institutions

We have transfer agreements that allow you to transfer "blocks" of courses directly into some of our programs. Currently we have agreements with the following institutions:

  • Bow Valley College
  • Selkirk College
  • Lethbridge College
  • Medicine Hat College
  • Northwest Community College
  • School of Community Development Northwest Territories

View Transfer Agreements

What courses are transferable?

College of the Rockies has 3557 transfer agreements in BC for 362 College of the Rockies courses for transfer to 28 institutions (source: 2016/2017 agreements). Students also enjoy excellent transfer of course credits from other institutions. If you are transferring from a BC institution you can visit the BC Transfer website to see what courses transfer to College of the Rockies from other institutions. If you are from an institution outside of BC,  you can request a review of your course for transfer credit with an equivalent College of the Rockies course. Courses do not have to be identical as long as they have broadly equivalent outcomes. Courses can generally receive assigned credit if they are at least 80 percent the same.

When can I apply for transfer credit?

Transfer credit will be evaluated after you have been accepted into one of our programs. Once you have been accepted we begin the process of evaluating your courses to determine which transfer credits you are eligible to receive.

  • Fall Transfer Deadline: May 15
  • Winter Transfer Deadline: October 1

To ensure your transfer credits are processed for the fall or winter semester it is highly recommended that your transfer credit applications and documentation are submitted by the deadlines.

How can I apply for transfer credits?

  1. Download and complete the Application for Transfer Credit Form
  2. Provide official transcripts from the institutions where you completed courses or let us know that they will be sent from another institution
  3. Provide course outlines from the year you completed the course:
    • Detailed course descriptions
    • Course number and name (i. e. ENGL 100)
    • Number of hours of lecture and lab
    • Number of credit units
    • Name of sending institution
  4. Send us your Application for Transfer Credit Form and course outlines. Please include full name, program(s) applied to, and your College of the Rockies student ID number in your correspondence.

Mail, fax or email your application and your course outlines to:

College of the Rockies-Articulation Officer
PO Box 8500, Cranbrook, BC Canada V1C 5L7
Fax: 250-489-8206


  • It is your responsibility to match course outlines and look for similarities (usually an 80 percent fit)
  • If you are an international student you should contact an International Education Coordinator for transfer credit information.

When can I expect results?

Transfer credit applications are processed in the order they are received and evaluations generally take between 4–6 weeks. Once we have evaluated your transfer credit application we will notify you via email. You can also view transfer of credit results on AccessCOTR or on your official transcript. Note that during the summer months there may be delays in posting your transfer credit results on your record.

If you have a transfer credit application pending for a required course, it is recommended that you enroll, pay and attend classes for that course. If your transfer credit application is approved, your tuition will be fully refunded for the transfer course. Do not purchase course textbooks or supplies for a pending transfer course as you will not be reimbursed for used books or supplies.

What are Unassigned Credits?

If you received Unassigned Credit (i.e. ENGL XXX) this indicates that the course transfers, but is not equivalent to a specific course at College of the Rockies. The use of unassigned credit may be applied towards meeting general electives, but not necessarily specific program/graduation requirements. Your unassigned credit does not satisfy pre-requisites for courses.

How are my transfer courses graded?

Grades on transfer courses display on the transcript in one of the following three ways:

  1. The grade will be the same grade you achieved at the institution you attended.
  2. When the course you are transferring has a percentage grade, it will be converted to a letter grade related to the percentage grade listed on the College of the Rockies grade scale.
  3. If more than one transfer course is equivalent to one of the College of the Rockies courses, the grade on the transcript will be TRF (transfer).

Additional transfer information:

For more detailed information please view College of the Rockies' complete Transfer Credit Policy.

  • If you are concerned with your transfer credit evaluation, you may contact the Registrar.
  • Transcript evaluation services prior to admission is currently not available
  • Courses to be considered must have been successfully completed at an accredited post-secondary institution
  • Detailed course outlines or syllabi may be requested
  • The maximum allowable transfer credits into a certificate, diploma or degree program at College of the Rockies is 75%
  • We reserve the right to deny transfer credit for courses completed 7 or more years before the date of application
  • It is your responsibility to avoid duplication of courses
  • Transfer credit may be re-assessed upon application to another program
  • The minimum letter grade required of a student to obtain transfer credit is sixty percent (60%) or a C letter grade
  • Transfer credit that we have accepted may not be accepted by another institution and conversely transfer credit accepted at another institution may not be accepted by our institution. Transfer credit will not be accepted for the purpose of Canada Student Loans or BC Provincial Loans.