Arts and Sciences - University Studies
Science Associate Degrees (ASc)
All College of the Rockies associate degrees are equivalent to the first two years of a bachelor’s degree in Arts or in Science. Students should plan carefully to ensure that all degree requirements are met. Education Advisors are available to assist students in planning their course selections for associate degrees.
- Sixty semester credits of first- and second-year courses.
- A minimum grade point average of C is required.
- A first-year course is defined as a course which has assigned transfer credit at the 100 level at UBC, SFU or UVic.
- A second-year course is defined as a course which has assigned or unassigned transfer credit at the 200 level or higher at UBC, SFU or UVic.
- An Arts course is a course in a subject area for which there is a Baccalaureate of Arts degree at UBC, SFU or UVic. These institutions are responsible for determining the Humanities (including Creative and Performing Arts) and Social Science course requirements.
- A Science course is a course in a subject area for which there is a Baccalaureate of Science degree or Baccalaureate of Applied Science degree at UBC, SFU or UVic.
The College of the Rockies offers associate degrees in both Arts and Sciences.
Associate of Science (ASc) - General Degree
To obtain the Associate of Arts general degree students must take the following course selections.
- Six semester credits in Math which shall include at least three credits in Calculus; and
- Eighteen semester credits in first-year Science, of which no more than six credits shall be in any one subject area; and
- Eighteen semester credits in second-year Science in two or more subject areas; and
- Six semester credits in first-year English; and
- Six semester credits in Arts other than English (excluding Mathematics and laboratory-based Science courses); and
- Six semester credits of first- or second-year courses.
(No single course may be used to meet more than one of the specific requirements.)
Associate of Science (ASc)- Biology and Medicine Pre-Major
Students who complete the Biology and Medicine pre-major program receive an Associate of Science degree. Associate of Science degrees have guaranteed 60-credit transfer to BC universities and students have guaranteed admission to Science degree programs at the University of Victoria; for more information see the UVic guaranteed admission page.
Associate of Science (ASc) - Environmental Sciences
The Associate of Science degree provides the student with the first two years of study towards a Bachelor of Science degree. The ASc, Environmental Studies, offers students an opportunity for cross-disciplinary studies in their areas of interest, particularly those that relate to the local and global environment.
Generally, students who earn an associate degree in Environmental Sciences will expect to transfer to university programs in Environmental Sciences. Those who complete the Biology core within their ASc should also be able to transfer into most Biology programs at Canadian universities. Students may also be able to take a directed studies course in Biology and become involved in an ongoing research project in Ecology.
Some students may complete an associate degree in Environmental Sciences to pursue an academic career path. Others may use it to enter a more specific environmental technology program.
The following options are general guidelines only. Students interested in this degree should contact faculty in the Sciences and/or an Education Advisor for more information.
To meet the requirements, students have the following options:
Year One -- Semester One
- Science Requirements: BIOL 101 and GEOL 105
- English Requirement: ENGL 100 or ENGL 101
- Calculus Requirement: Math 103
- First-year Science Elective - Choose any one of: CHEM 101, PHYS 103
Year One -- Semester Two
- Science Requirements: BIOL 102 and GEOG 101 or GEOL 106
- English Requirement: ENGL 101 or ENGL 102 or COMC 102
- Calculus Requirement: MATH 104
- First-year Science Elective - Continuation from Semester One: CHEM 102, GEOL 106, GEOG 101, PHYS 104
Year Two -- Semester One
- Science Requirement: BIOL 204
- Second-year Science Electives - Choose two of: BIOL 201, CHEM 201, MATH 201, 221, PHYS 201
- Non-science Elective: Choose any one of any Fine Arts, Humanities or Social Science elective or recommended courses, ENST 200 or PSYC 270.
- First-year or Second-year Science Elective - Choose one.
Year Two -- Semester Two
- Science Requirements: BIOL 208 and STAT 206
- Second-year Science Electives - Choose one of: BIOL 202, 203, CHEM 202, MATH 202, STAT 206, PHYS 202, GEOL 220
- Non-science Elective: Choose any one of any Fine Arts, Humanities or Social Science elective or recommended courses, ENST 200 or PSYC 270
- First-year or Second-year Science Elective - Choose one
Students must have 18 2nd year credits from Math and Science