Throughout our 140 hour program, you will learn about the basic workings of a kitchen including:
- Equipment recognition and use
- Cleaning and sanitation processes
- Commercial dishwashing
- Receiving and storage practices
- Knife skills
- Recipe execution and conversion
- Measuring, temperature taking and recording
- Fire safety, and what to do when faced with an incident or accident
Communication, working within a team, and how to prioritize in a kitchen will also be covered, giving you the critical skills the restaurant and food service industries are seeking.
- 140 hour program (70% practical and 30% theoretical)
- This program is delivered in class and in a kitchen workplace setting
Upon successful completion of the program, you will receive a College of the Rockies Certificate of Achievement and certificates in Foodsafe Level 1 and WHMIS.
- Tuition fees are $2,495.00
The program is not currently eligible for student loan funding. If assistance is needed with tuition costs, you are encouraged to explore potential funding opportunities within your community. Some options might include:
- WorkBC Employment Offices or employment offices in your home province
- Columbia Basin Trust – for residents of the Columbia Basin
For detailed class schedules including dates and times, please contact your nearest campus.
February 11 - March 8, 2019
Please contact the Fernie campus for more information.
March 5 - 30, 2019
After receiving your Continuing Education - Certificate of Achievement in the Kitchen Assistant program, you may find excellent opportunities for employment in hotel kitchens, restaurants, institutions, and catering organizations.
This may be a stepping stone to becoming a prep cook or challenging yourself to take the Culinary Arts Program.