Social Work Pre-Major - Associate Degree (2018/19)
|Total Cost (tuition & fees)||$7,017.48|
|International Tuition »|
All students that apply to the College are required to pay the $30 application fee. The application fee for international students is $100. Trades Apprenticeship students who are new to the College pay a one-time application fee per trade.
|Student Association Fee:|
For credit based courses there is an $11.50 student association fee for each course. The maximum student associate fee is 3 courses per semester for a total of $34.50. Some programs (Trades, Vocational & Health) are charged based on number of weeks they are in session. For these programs the student association fee is $2.30 per week of study (an 8 week program is charged $2.30 x 8 weeks = $18.40 fee).
|Bus Pass Fee:|
Students that are enrolled in full time studies at College of the Rockies pay a bus pass fee for unlimited access to public transit in the Cranbrook area. This fee only applies to students enrolled in an On-campus program at the Cranbrook and Gold Creek campus (online students are not required to pay bus pass fees).
|Health and Dental Fee:|
An annual fee of $225 for the Health & Dental Plan is charged to students registered in the Fall Term in nine or more face-to-face (in-class) credits/hours or enrolled in full-time programs lasting for at least nine weeks of study. This plan provides you with extended health and dental coverage for some of those services not covered by the BC MSP and other health-care programs.
*These prices are for domestic students and may not be 100% accurate. However, these estimates will give you an adequate idea of tuition and fees for our programs. These prices do not include textbook costs. All prices are subject to change.
The Social Work Pre-Major pathway consists of two years of coursework, primarily in social sciences and humanities, that prepare the student for competitive admission to Year 3 in a Social Work degree program at BC and Alberta institutions.
The pre-major pathway provides the first two full years of study towards a four-year degree. All Social Work courses are taken in the final two years of study.
- Secondary school graduation (or equivalent)
- Math 11 or equivalent (Foundation of Math 11, Applications of Math 12, Principles of Math 11, Pre-Calculus Math 11, MATH 080)
- Minimum 65% in English 12 or equivalent
- Basic computer skills are also recommended
Credit can be awarded for one or more courses in this program through FA - Yes
Part A – English Requirements: 6 credits
- ENGL-101 or ENGL-102
Part B – Science Requirements: 9 credits
- 3 credits in a Laboratory Sciences. Suggested courses: Any one of CHEM 100 or CHEM 101 or BIOL 101 or BIOL 151 or GEOG 101 or GEOL 105 or PHYS 103
Part C – Arts Requirements: 36 credits
6 credits in Social Science (ANTH, CRIM, ECON, ENST, POLI, PSYC and SOCI). Suggested courses: SOCI-101 & SOCI-102
6 credits in Humanities other than English (FA, COMC, FNST, FREN, HIST, KTUN, PHIL, RELS, SPAN). Suggested courses: FNST-101 & FNST-203
24 additional Arts credits. Suggested courses:
- ANTH-101 or ANTH-105
- ANTH-211 or PHIL-201
- HIST-211 or POLI-203 or 200-level CRIM
- PSYC-207 or PSYC-240 or CRIM-210
- RELS-112 or RELS-180 or PHIL-101 or CRIM-103/PSYC-103 or 100-level Elective
Part D – Art, Science or other area requirements: 9 credits
Many of our programs and courses will allow you to transfer to other colleges and universities in Canada. You can also apply to get transfer credits from past courses that will go towards completing your program here at College of the Rockies.
Learn how to transfer your courses to College of the Rockies
If you would like to continue your studies our courses transfer to a wide number of Canadian colleges and universities. If you are transferring to a BC college or university visit the BC Transfer website to see if our courses transfer to that institution.
Example of Course Outline for: Social Work Pre-Major - Associate Degree
Note: ANTH-105 (Introduction to Health and Wellness in Indigenous Communities) can be taken instead of ANTH-101 (Introduction to Cultural Anthropology)
Note: ENGL-101 (Introduction to Poetry and Drama) can be taken instead of ENGL-102 (Introduction to Prose Fiction)
Note: ANTH-211 (Anthropology of Gender) can be taken instead of PHIL-201 (Social & Political Philosophy)
- For your laboratory science you can take CHEM-101, BIOL-101, BIOL-151, GEOG-101, GEOL-105 or PHYS-103 instead of taking CHEM-100
- PSYC-240 (Introduction to Abnormal Psychology) or CRIM-210 (Law, Youth and Young Offenders) can be taken instead of PSYC-207 (Social Psychology)
- RELS-112, PHIL-101, CRIM-103, PSYC-103 or any 100-level elective can be taken instead of RELS-180 (The Search for Meaning)